- Ce sujet est vide.
9 novembre 2020 à 8 h 07 min #12415
Measuring the World
by Daniel Kehlmann, Carol Brown Janeway
- Format: hardcover, 259 pages
- Publisher: Pantheon
- Author: Daniel Kehlmann, Carol Brown Janeway
- Release date: November 7, 2006
- ISBN: 9780375424465 (0375424466)
- Language: english
- Awards: Exclusive Books Boeke Prize Nominee (2007), Independent Foreign Fiction Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2008), PEN Translation Prize Nominee for Carol Brown Janeway (2007), Deutscher Buchpreis (German Book Prize) Nominee for Shortlist (2005)
- Characters: Alexander von Humboldt, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Eugen Gauss, Aimé Bonpland
- Genres: fiction, historical, germany, novels, contemporary, travel, roman, literature
About The Book
The young Austrian writer Daniel Kehlmann conjures a brilliant and gently comic novel from the lives of two geniuses of the Enlightenment.
Toward the end of the eighteenth century, two young Germans set out to measure the world. One of them, the Prussian aristocrat Alexander von Humboldt, negotiates savanna and jungle, travels down the Orinoco, tastes poisons, climbs the highest mountain known to man, counts head lice, and explores every hole in the ground. The other, the barely socialized mathematician and astronomer Carl Friedrich Gauss, does not even need to leave his home in Göttingen to prove that space is curved. He can run prime numbers in his head. He cannot imagine a life without women, yet he jumps out of bed on his wedding night to jot down a mathematical formula. Von Humboldt is known to history as the Second Columbus. Gauss is recognized as the greatest mathematical brain since Newton. Terrifyingly famous and more than eccentric in their old age, the two meet in Berlin in 1828. Gauss has hardly climbed out of his carriage before both men are embroiled in the political turmoil sweeping through Germany after Napoleon’s fall.
Already a huge best seller in Germany, Measuring the World marks the debut of a glorious new talent on the international scene.
Paperback Measuring the World read online iPad on Kobo. Hardcover book Measuring the World Daniel Kehlmann buy. PDF ebook Measuring the World. MOBI ebook Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann download for iPhone on Books-a-Million. FB2 Measuring the World Daniel Kehlmann read on PocketBook.
TXT book Measuring the World buy cheap on Barnes & Noble. MP3 Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann on iOS on Powells. EPUB ebook Measuring the World download. FictionBook book Measuring the World read. Hardback ebook Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann buy cheap for reader on Audible.